Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Today's Response to Poetry

Two in class free writing responses to this poem: http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/10/06/081006po_poem_warren


I like how she uses the word “serious”. “Serious cooking.” I don’t do “serious cooking,” and if I did it sure as hell wouldn’t be in the morning. Pour cereal, crack some eggs, whatever, just get some food in me. I don’t usually wake up early either, most of my breakfasts could properly be defined as “lunch”, but no, my real lunch will come later and my dinner is sometimes at ten. Mara (one of my roommates) gets on my case about it, “but it’s ten! You can’t eat dinner at ten!” Oh can’t I? You know my family is halfway across the globe experiencing the afternoon on the West Coast and don’t they exist just as we do? They are eating their lunch when it’s ten in Italy?! Gasp, how strange! And yet I’m hungry now and so I will eat now. Not at five, not six, I wasn’t hungry then, but now. And it probably won’t be serious cooking either.


Churches and cooking? Microwaved apostles? I don’t quite get it but maybe it’s because tympanums and so on make me think of things I learned in school, not walking by and experiencing them for the first time by seeing one. I guess that would change your view later in life and you could play with them more. I wish my lettuce was that pretty.


My personal food map (also made and shared in class):

No comments:

Post a Comment